Join us in a journey for the freshest produce from Santiago’s lively La Vega market, and then head to a private home to cook a fresh meal paired with fine wine
In this activity we visit Santiago’s main produce and fish markets: La Vega Central and Mercado Central, to buy fresh ingredients for a fresh and tasty meal. Accompany your guide as we select the best products from our favorite vendors, or caseros. It’s also an opportunity to explore the variety of produce, products and culture at the market.
Next we will head away from Santiago Centro to the base of the Andes to a private home in either San Carlos de Apoquindo, a community at the foot of the looming mountains, or in the residential section of Bellavista. Here we will prepare a simple but delicious Chilean meal using the fresh fish and produce we just selected. The actual meal depends on the market and seasonal availability of products. Prior to the meal we will also prepare Chilean pebre and pisco sours. It’s a great opportunity to pick up a new preparation to take home to your friends and family. Rather than a formal cooking class with technical instruction, this is a collaborative effort to prepare a fresh meal and talk food and culture.
Each participant will also receive a special gift and the recipes of what we prepared that day. Additional options are available for all diets and preferences. Just ask.
Tour starts 9am at your hotel, and lasts around 6 hours. Available any day of the week, all year except for: New Year’s Day, Christmas Day, September 18-19.
- Bilingual, food obsessed host and cook
- Walking tour the market quarter.
- Transportation in a modern, air conditioned vehicle with a professional driver.
- Private home and everything needed to prepare and enjoy the meal
- Instructions to make Pisco Sour and Pebre
- Appetizers including aged cheese from the market and other goodies picked up along the way.
- Main course, dessert, coffee and a bottle of quality local wine.
- A tasty, informative and enjoyable fun afternoon
- Bottle of water
- Please book tour with a 72 hours’ notice
- Private tour with a minimum of 2 people
- We aim to please, so let us know any dietary restrictions or preferences in advance to arrange alternatives
- This tour includes some walking which involves covering roughly 6 city blocks at a light pace. Wear comfortable walking shoes. The market is safe, but like any market there are pickpockets and petty thieves. Avoid wearing high value items like jewelry or watches.
- See our general tour conditions.
Price: US$268 per person (based on a group of 2 people, contact us for rates for larger groups)